Friday, May 8, 2009

Harvesters

So I have been at my job for two weeks now, so I figured that it would be a good time to talk about Harvesters and what I am doing there.

The Harvesters website really explains the scope of their work better than I could. As the areas only food bank, we serve nearly 60,000 people a week in 13 or so counties. This is why the organization works with hundreds of food pantries, has 100+ employees, and the most bombing facility ever:

I am working a 200,000 square foot office/warehouse facility that was once a computer shell manufacturing plant. This place is really cool, and certainly the largest and fanciest non-profit offices I have seen. My office is upstairs in what my department calls the "Ivory Tower", and I have a great view (which I took a picture of but apparently accidentally deleted it.)

View of the atrium from the landing outside my office.



A view from the entrance of my department, the chair facing the camera is mine.


This page lists the four large special events that Harvesters hosts each year, and I will be working a lot on these events. I will also be doing something called prospect research, which is really neat and a little creepy at the same time. Basically, I will use public records to 1) assess an individual's wealth, and 2) determine if they would have interest in donating to Harvesters. So far, I have been training, sending out mailings, and entering lots and lots of donor data.

I like the organization a lot and I love my department. I am really looking forward to this year with them!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it is going well, Juliet. How do you like KC? Any time to explore yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, pretty fancy building there. One day I will send you a picture of our food bank -- one can only approach from the alley........

    ReplyDelete