Monday, March 7, 2011

I know him!

Comanche, the loan survivor of Custer's Last Stand, as pictured in 1876. He currently
resides in the lobby of the University of Kansas Natural History Museum
.

I came across this pretty remarkable collection of pictures today on the photo blog of the Denver Post while browsing teh internets, and I thought I'd share. These photos capture the frontier West in a way I've never really seen in photographs.

In addition to some beautifully haunting photos of reservation life for Native Americans, this collection also features a glamour shot of the young stud above, Comanche, my second favorite stuffed horse.* You, too, can visit with this horse/war hero in Lawrence, Kansas, in the lobby of the Natural History Museum on the KU campus. He still looks great.


*My favorite stuffed horse is, of course, Trigger.


Photo via the Denver Post plog, via the Library of Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment