Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thomas Hart Benton

Yesterday, Tom surprised me with a trip to tour the home of Thomas Hart Benton, a famous Missouri artist. He was known for his murals and historical scenes. I have seen his work at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art and the Harry Truman Library (you can see his mural of the library entrance three posts down on the June 21, 2009 update,) and I am a big fan. Plus, home tours are my most favorite type of historical site. Homes of yesteryear! The best. Here are some shots of the Benton home and T.H.B.'s studio.





This was a really neat tour, I recommend it. It reminded me a lot of the state historic site homes in Monterey, California. Monterey's state park actually is a series of restored homes and buildings that represent eras of California history, starting with Monterey as the main port of the Spanish-occupied territory. NEAT.

My favorite home tour of all time, just in case you ever find yourself in Flagstaff, Arizona, is of the Riordan Mansion. Lumber barons really know how to build a great house. Flagstaff is a great town, which I learned when I stayed there one night during my road trip to Kansas City, nearly two years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Juliet, have you or Tom read William Least Heat Moon's Prairy Erth?

    ReplyDelete